2009年10月10日 星期六

Weekly task 2

Being as teenagers, we easily grow sensitive to others’ words, especially the one who are really intimate with us, for instance, our parents. As long as they try to communicate with us, we take it as a preachment, and start to turn a deaf ear to them; we thought we are big enough to make our own decision, and they have no rights to convert. You could count it to hormone’s count, or, on the other hand, you should chose to face it with a more positive and correct way-be calm and think twice.

Take myself as an example; I always tend to ignore my father’s advice, trying hard to prove myself right-that leads to two kinds of consequences, one is that I am right in the end, which is fine with everything; the other is that I was wrong then, but through the progress, I have learned a lot, including both the right answer and the right attitude to solve the question. Of course I didn’t mean to overthrow your parents or other things like that, but in my point of view, you should respect your parent for sure. Although you may defy, you may struggle, the initial point of your parents is definitely good for you anyway, you just need to take time and accept it. In other words, it is quite essential to rethink about things from a new angel. Stand in others’ shoes is always a good way to stay peace=).

2 則留言:

  1. It's true that teenagers easily get mad when parents keep nagging at them or giving instruction rudely. Of course we all know that the reason our parents try to tell us possible consequences or potential risks beforehand is out of good intentions, hoping that we can avoid suffer and pain. However, as you just mentioned, perhaps due to the hormone, young men and women tend to take the good intention as boring preaching, and simply ignore it.
    True. Although we might not be the right one toward the issue, we learn a lot when we unmask the world within our own hands. I think most of the time our parents enforce too much protection on us, especially the generations after 1980s, because the world is pretty much different than our parents used to know. I think too much protection is actually a barrier for young people to learn. Because they are being deprived from the opportunity of experience frustration. Quite different from your view point, I think we are now young adults who are able to distinguish right and wrong. Hence, our parents suggestion can be useful, but still, we have the right to decide what we want (correspond to what I've just said last week). Surely we might encounter some difficulties because we didn't bear our parents’ opinions in mind, but I think I will learn a lesson when I experience the result and learn to be responsible to what I've done.
    Back to our topic, I personally still have some conflicts with my parents occasionally due to some different values. Most of the time I feel they’re old-fashioned and stubborn. But when I looked back, I think I really do need more confidence and patience to face my parents when communicating. Maybe next time when I’m trying to express myself, I should also think in my parents’ shoe so that we can have a successful communication. :)

    Judy, FJU Eng Dept.

    回覆刪除
  2. Despite the unstable emotion caused by hormone, I think there are still other reasons involved. For example, although our parents have once being a teenager, it was 20 years ago. Their backgrounds are totally different from ours’; we cannot force them to accept our values immediately. We should give each other much more time to negotiate and strike a balance.

    回覆刪除