2009年10月24日 星期六

Task 4

Question 1:
This is how American college students learn. Are you learning in a similar way?
Answer 1:
I am not exactly learning in the same way with American college students, but stilll in the similar one. For example, I use the Internet medium that has mentioned above, such as Google, Facebook, Skype. Unfortunately, I use them engaging in leisure activities more than in school work. Take Facebook, as an example, which is now popular for the game “Happy Farm” on it, is one of the functions of Facebook that I use most commonly. In addition, I use Skype to contact with my family. Still, I share some thoughts and news with my friends on my blog, but it just seemed not so formal enough. It’s a pity that I ignore the importance and the convenience of networking. This video reminds me of the multi-function of the Internet, which is just the thing for me to start my new style of learning all over again! From now on, I will try to make the best use of Internet!
Question 2:
What does it mean by “Networked Students”? Is it a good or a bad change, and why?
Answer 2:
“Networked students” means students who use Internet to learn or self-study. I think it is a thing from both sides now. It seems fast and easy to find information on the Web, but in the information explosion generation, you should cultivate the ability of telling right from wrong, otherwise the same knife cuts bread and fingers. However, I tend to be opposed to learning things only through the Internet but not going to school. Since school is a place you can not only learn knowledge but also learn how to get along with others. It is possible to be a know-it-all by surfing on the Internet, but it is also likely that you may become a basket case on making friends with others. Only studying in school will stand you a chance to “quarrel “with others, which will then enhance your ability to negotiate and cultivate the ability of critical thinking. Therefore, I think it is not completely a good change.

1 則留言:

  1. For me, Internet is my friend and also my teacher. I personally spend most of my leisure time surfing Internet. I, too, spend a lot of time on msn, skype, facebook, plurk and many other social network websites. However, I don't think it is a waste of time because I share my feelings and ideas with my friends and I can get all kinds of feedback almost instantly even my friends and I are at different time and place. This provides me with many different point of views and gives me various opportunities for me to communicate with my friends other than the rare discussion around campus.
    In addition, I google almost all the information I need when working on essays and reports. Especially when many libraries now have online version which enable people to access books via Internet. It is really very convenience for me to gather essays, journals and articles from Internet database. However, recently I found out that there are some shortcomings for those students who rely on Internet too much. For example, students spend less time on reading that their reading abilities become worse and thus influence their ability to analyze text. This can be very serious since students are usually required to hand in papers almost every semester. Another disadvantage is that most students cannot differ whether the information they grab from the website is right or wrong. Thus students obtain wrong knowledge which might lead them to a failing grade.
    In all, my opinion is quite similar as yours. Networked students could be a good change, but surely there are some shortcomings come with the change. I think students should adapt their way of learning but at the same time notice the possible disadvantages.

    Judy Chou, FJU Eng Dept.

    回覆刪除