2009年9月30日 星期三

What would you say when someone laughs at you for never skipping classes?

First of all, I think it’s quite difficult to face the peer pressure. Everyone’s trying to get along well with others, so sometimes you tend to cater to them unconsciously. Secondarily, although everyone has their own values and principles (I do so), they should be respected under not necessarily all kinds of circumstances. In my point of view, one should adjust himself/ herself to the circumstances, but not forgetting his/her original insistence.

If someone laughs at me for never skipping classes, I would give them a snort of contempt. Skipping classes is nothing to be proud of. It’s only a distorted value among nowadays college students. Students make excuses for their oversleeping or laziness, and try to rationalize their wrongdoings. It is definitely not the right attitude toward learning. In addition, as the Bible has taught us, one shouldn’t walk according to the course of this world. You can do whatever you want, but still, all things are lawful for you, but all things are not expedient; all things are lawful for you, but all things edify not. (Corinthians 10: 23)

2 則留言:

  1. I'm quite agree with you but I have a different point of view toward "skipping classes." I believe that students skip classes due to many different reasons. It could be laziness, overslept, feeling blue, whatever. However, if someone feels that something other than stay in class is more important, s/he REALLY SHOULD skip the class to do what s/he wants. Since we are already grownups who are able to make decision for ourselves, I think skipping classes is actually no big deal. Of course people have their free will to decide what they want to have, right?
    Back to our topic, if someone laughs at me for never skipping classes, I think it's nothing to be angry/snort of. People could have different opinions through one thing, why should we feel bad when other people enforce their value on us? In fact, I think we should feel pity for them. I choose not to skip classes because I know what can gain from the courses and it is worthy to stay in class. In addtion, I respect those who chose to skip the class. However, those people who laugh at others seem to feel superior because they skip classes. Of course skipping classes is not something to be proud of. The most important thing is that they should respect others' choices, just like what you've just said.

    Judy, FJU Eng Dept.

    回覆刪除
  2. At the beginning, I cannot accept the idea of skipping classes, and honestly speaking, I tend to stick to my guns. However, after a deeper thinking, I am quite agreeing with your point of view toward whether skipping class or not. It is true that if someone feels something is more worthy or important to do than going to the class, it is agreeable to skip the classes. Nevertheless, it should still be based on a moderate limit. Everyone had his/her right to decide what are they going to do, which may then decide what their future be. It is the freedom we have been protected, but we have to use it well, otherwise we are likely to indulge in passions and run wild.

    回覆刪除